ThinkExist Dynamic daily quotation

Creative Writings

Monday, March 17, 2008

A Perfect Christmas (Entry version)

The shrill sound of the doorbell jarred Alex awake. It was almost midnight and he knew only one person could need him at this hour.

“Soph, what happened?” Alex asked when he opened the door and Sophie promptly sobbed on his shoulders. Her heartbreaking wails told him her bastard boyfriend dumped her again as he led her to the couch and fetched her Toblerone and a can of Coke.

As Sophie attacked her food, Alex thought of one thing that will surely lift her up. Since Christmas was only a few days away, it’s time to do their own Christmas ritual since they’re children. He dragged the tree he bought near the window and went to get the boxes of decors. His urge to go after Brandon and do him bodily harm was curbed when Sophie’s face lit up upon seeing the colorful tree ornaments.

Alex handed her a silver bell and together, they put up all the trimmings for the tree. Sophie took out the last décor from the box – a star – and then promptly turned towards Alex and raised her arms. Alex wrapped his arms around her waist and hoisted her up as she placed the star on the treetop and giggled when Alex twirled around before putting her down.
“Feel better now?” Alex asked.
She nodded and smiled weakly. “I saw Brandon kissing his ex-girlfriend in his car this morning. When I confronted him earlier this evening, he didn’t deny it. Instead, he told me he still love his ex-girlfriend and left me. Oh Lex, it hurts so much. I thought he’s the right man. But he’s just the same as the other men out there who breaks their promises and just play with women’s emotions!”

“Not all men are like Brandon Soph,” Alex replied sharply. “There are men who can love and be faithful to only one woman.”

“How could you know that? Heck, even you didn’t have a relationship that lasted for six months!” Sophie railed at Alex.

Alex took offense, he shouted at Sophie. “I didn’t have long lasting relationship with those women because I have the misfortune of falling in love… I know just know that a man can love one woman alone deeply because I know a man who loves you so much, who’s willing to give you the world if you asked for it. However, you are just blind !”
“You’ve got to be kidding me!”
“I’m not currently rolling on the floor, aren’t I? For someone who’s a hopeless romantic, you’re so outrageously oblivious. Open your eyes and think hard, DAMN IT!”
Sophie decided to humor Alex and then out of the blue, realization sank in, as scenes from the past flashed before her: the boy who fought the children who were mean to her; the man who gave her things she wanted most; listened to her incessant, nonsensical chatter patiently; checked on her whenever he or she was away for days; cut his dates short if she needed him immediately; cancelled on friends just to go shopping with her; rejoiced when she broke up with a boyfriend.

Alex saw the dawning of truth in her expression. “Yes, I have the misfortune of falling in love with my best friend, who’s oblivious to my feelings. I have loved you for so long, because you were smart and spirited and kind to everyone. I have done everything I can to show you how I feel and even sang Westlife’s song ‘Obvious’ to you hoping it would budge you to see that I don’t feel brotherly towards you anymore.

And I’m willing to do more than that. I’ll hold your hand and put my arms around you while we stroll to show the world you’re mine. I’ll shout proudly to my friends how I love you with all my heart. I won’t mind going deaf listening to your gossips and prattle bizarre thoughts and questions because just being near you, hearing your voice and looking at you make my day complete. I would kiss you a million times each day and still couldn’t get enough. And most of all, I promise you I will never break your heart.”

Sophie’s only response was tears and laughter.

“This is not a joke, SOPHIE!”

“I am sorry, but this is so funny to me because I’ve been berating myself for years for falling in love with my best friend who I thought only thinks of me as her sister.”
“Hell, no brother in the world would willingly cancel on his dates or friends just to help his sister shop even if you bribe him.” Pause. “What made you think I only feel platonic love towards you?”

“One incident in high school convinced me of it. We were bickering and suddenly Ashley asked us if we’re a couple. You laughed like you found the notion so ridiculous.”
“Ah, you have a pretty convenient memory. You reacted first to Ashley’s statement by looking so horrified and shouted ‘No” as if Ashley asked you if you wanted to have your hands cut off.”
“I didn’t!”
“Yes, you did. And my ego was bruised so I just acted that way.”
“I’m sor…”
“Hush.” Alex moved towards Sophie and caressed her face. “It’s not important now. Let’s forget that stupid incident and deal with the present. I have enough of you crying over those worthless men.” He stared into her big brown eyes. “I love you Sophie Carter. Will you let me spend the rest of my life with you?”
“I love you too, Alexander Warrington. And YES, I want to spend my lifetime with you.”
And then they were locked in each other’s embrace and passionate kiss, with the lights on the tree twinkling in the background.

*******

Christmas Day.
“Thank you for a perfect Christmas,” Alex said, holding Sophie in his arms.
“Why it’s a perfect Christmas?”
“Because you made my wish come true.”
“And that wish is…”
“Letting me spend my lifetime with you.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home